Carolien van Weering specialises in health and liability law. She acts on behalf of healthcare providers in all sectors.
Carolien advises and litigates in the areas of:
- disciplinary law
- liability law
- disputes regarding cooperation
- (inadequate) performance issues of medical professionals
- privacy and professional privilege
- disputes relating to disability insurance
Among her clients are boards of directors of healthcare institutions, Medical Specialist Companies, medical consultants and other individual healthcare providers. She is regularly asked by these to act as a mediator in disputes regarding cooperation or as a chairperson of committees of inquiry into the performance, or inadequate performance, of medical consultants.
With her many years of experience, Carolien knows the ins and outs of the healthcare sector and how a dispute should be dealt with, in court or otherwise. This quality enables her to act as a sparring partner for her clients and share her strategic views with them. Her clients describe her as straightforward, involved, prudent and resolute. Carolien prefers to handle her cases in close consultation with the parties, so as to arrive at a solution which is acceptable to all. Carolien also assists (medical professional) liability insurance companies. For these she handles liability issues in the broadest sense, disputes regarding cover under the insurance policy and cases of fraud.
Carolien has been active as a lawyer since 1990. In 2011 she became a partner with Legaltree, with a break between 2017 and 2018, when she completed her training for the judiciary.
Memberships & ancillary positions
- Certified mediator
- Chair of the complaints committee of the Dutch Childcare and Protection Board
- Chair of the Appeals Tribunal of the Dutch Association for Couples and Family Therapy
- Lecturer at Nibesvv, Medilex, SDU, Legalplanet
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the School Advisory Service
- Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, 1989
- Grotius, 1995 (personal injury specialist training)
- Nyenrode, 2007 (professional organisations management)
- Van der Hoeven en Nelissen, 2009 (mediation)
- SSR, 2017-2018 (training for the judiciary)
- Wel-com, 2018 (transformative mediation)
- NVTZ, The new supervisor in care & welfare (2021)
More from Carolien Van Weering
by Carolien Van Weering